Tcl versions with threads enabled

Gustaf Neumann neumann at wu.ac.at
Tue Feb 7 09:46:17 PST 2012

Am 06.02.12 20:24, schrieb Bradley Giesbrecht:
> On Feb 4, 2012, at 1:20 AM, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
>
>> b) making tcl threaded by default (my personal favorite, other tcl unix distros went this way)
> Yes, I think "b" is the more attractive option you present.
>
> Please excuse my possible ignorance.
>
> Would this list produced by the following command be the bulk of the ports that would need to be rebuilt and tested?
> $ port echo depends_lib:tcl
>
> Have you tried building these ports with a threaded tcl?
i have now tried to build all these ports (46 + 5 additional ports of
mine) on Lion 10.7.2. None of the ports had problems to to
threads-enabled. However, 17 ports did not build (many of these have
already tickets open).
Here are the classification of the problems:

- Tcl 8.4 dependencies: scotty (dependents: moodss, moomps), tclx, otcl,
tclcl, swarm
-  need tclInt.h: tcLex
- oracle dependencies (checksum mismatch): ocilib, php5-oracle,
qore-oracle-module, TOra
- c++ compile problem: InsightToolkit314, InsightToolkit312
- misc problems: gst, TalkSoup, irsim

There are as well 9 ports listed by "port echo depends_build:tcl":
Problems are:
  - blt (requires: port install blt configure.compiler=llvm-gcc-4.2)
  - fails due to dependency on tclx: (mesa, sguil-client)

There are as well ports with missing tcl dependencies:
  - tclreadline (tcl dependency missing, submitted ticket with patch)
  - tcl-tls tcl (submitted ticket with patch)
> Would the successful build of the dependent ports indicate compatibility or would the dependent ports require individual post install functionality testing?
Honestly, no serious person can claim, that when it compiles, it runs as
well. There is some hope, that some of these ports have tests enabled
(e.g. xotcl). I have manually tested many of the ports, and have
submitted a few patches, for those that did not work (these problems
occurred the same way with and without threads enabled). Most ports are
not uncommon and are used as well in other distros together with a
threaded tcl (e.g. active state ships a threaded tcl for unixes and
makes the following packages available via teapot: http://wiki.tcl.tk/17340)

all the best
-gustaf