Fading zmq20

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Feb 15 06:42:56 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 18:21, Andrea D'Amore <and.damore at macports.org> wrote:

> There's a pending upcoming 3.x zeromq with incompatible API, what will
> 2.1.11 be called when 3 will become available, zmq21?

It would probably be most appropriate to use zmq (2.x) and zmq3 (3.x).
At least until most ports / projects are upgraded to work with the new
API. At that point, it might make sense to move zmq to the 3.x branch
and create zmq2.

I'm suggesting this, however, without any familiarity with zmq.

Other options are having zmq2 and zmq3 with a zmq port that is used to
set the default, as with perl currently. Or using "port select" to set
this. Or, maybe zmq2 and zmq3 can coexist without conflict or need to
set a default. Then again, it may be best to just move zmq to 3.x and
fix any ports / projects that aren't compatible.

I think the biggest factor is how does the zmq project refer to the
3.x release. If it's seen as simply the next version, that happens to
break compatibility, it 3.x should probably be zmq. If they're
referring to it as an almost new project, possibly with continued
development on 2.x, it should probably be zmq3.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448