XCode 4.3

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Fri Feb 17 14:53:13 PST 2012

Hi Dan,

On Feb 17, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Dan Ports wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:58:56PM -0800, James Berry wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>> I had 4.2 installed, downloaded 4.3 from the app store, ran new Xcode (4.3), told it to uninstall 4.2 (/Developer and the installer from /Applications), had it install the command line tools, quit and xcode-select -print-path was set to /Developer
>
> I just tried this in a VM that previously had Xcode 4.2 installed. Same
> procedure, same result.
>

>> If you're still in this state, (unlikely), maybe you could check that the code I checked in earlier handles this case correctly for you?
>
> I tried this with trunk at r89972. What I got wasn't particularly
> helpful:
>
> Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
> Error: No valid Xcode installation was found; please install Xcode
> Error:
> Error: No valid Xcode installation was found: please install Xcode
> Error:
> Error: No valid Xcode installation was found; please install Xcode
> Error:
> Error: No valid Xcode installation was found: please install Xcode
> Error:
> Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.

Interesting. Questions:

 - Was Xcode 4.3 installed at that point?

 - Had Xcode been run after the install? (In other words, had you agreed to the license?)

 - I'm particularly intrigued by "xcodebuild exists but failed to execute".  Is that a symptom of it trying to get you to agree to the license?

 - What would "xcodebuild -version" and "xcode-select -print-path" have returned at that point?

 The other messages imply that (a) xcodeselect -print-path failed to return anything valid, and (b) that mdfind didn't find the Xcode binary anywhere, and (c) that there was no Xcode at /Developer. The fact that the messages are duplicated several times is due to the way in which those messages are hooked in. While it's not ideal, too many messages is better than none at all!

James