XCode 4.3

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Feb 19 13:45:44 PST 2012

On Feb 19, 2012, at 2:29 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2012, at 00:35, Dan Ports wrote:
>> (One could argue that it's a bug that, e.g. perl modules build using
>> the compiler that built perl rather than configure.compiler, but I'm
>> not sure that's something we either want to or can easily change.)
>
> Well as you know it was a bug that perl modules built using the arch flags that built perl rather than [get_canonical_archflags], and we did (finally) fix that.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/24779
>
> So maybe we should fix this too.

Maybe?

It's somewhat debatable that 'fixing' this by having the modules build with configure.compiler is really the right thing here (there is a reason why upstream tries to make both perl and its modules build with the same compiler).

It _probably_ works to just always use configure.compiler, but I don't especially want to debug the cases where it doesn't work. Maybe we need a way to indicate that something was built with a particular xcode-provided compiler (so if you upgrade xcode, and want to upgrade a p5- port it would be able to rebuild perl and any other modules you had installed at that point for you).

--
Daniel J. Luke