XCode 4.3

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Feb 20 10:49:37 PST 2012

On Feb 19, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> I hope that means that you have both MacPorts and Fink configured for nonstandard prefixes, meaning your MacPorts is somewhere other than
>>> /opt/local and your Fink is somewhere other than /sw. Otherwise you're just asking for trouble.
>>
>> I've been using it this way since Tiger, and haven't had any problems,
>> mainly because MacPorts is my primary, and Fink is only a backup when
>> something is missing or out of date in MacPorts (e.g., Re-Alpine).
>>
>> Also, the PATH, MANPATH, and INFOPATH to MacPorts comes before Fink,
>> which I read as advice somewhere a long time ago, and that seems to
>> allow it to work.
>>
>> I imagine if I was using Fink more heavily then I might run into a
>> conflict, but I'm not, so I haven't.
>
> If you have MacPorts and Fink installed, and either of them are in their default locations, you will eventually run into problems; please don't do that.

If this were -users I would wholeheartedly agree.

As it's -dev I think it's sufficient to say that this can cause problems - but you can make it work (as long as you're aware of the issue(s) and know how to troubleshoot them).

It's really only an issue if you expect other people to help you fix problems that your unique setup causes (ie, if you do choose to do this, you should probably have a 'good' test system where you can make sure the issue is a MacPorts one before you ask for help).

--
Daniel J. Luke