perl and configure.compiler (was Re: XCode 4.3)

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Feb 20 11:02:55 PST 2012

On Feb 19, 2012, at 9:40 PM, Dan Ports wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 04:45:44PM -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> It's somewhat debatable that 'fixing' this by having the modules build with configure.compiler is really the right thing here (there is a reason why upstream tries to make both perl and its modules build with the same compiler).
>
> Yeah... I wasn't suggesting that we should do that. Certainly not
> without a lot of careful thought and testing. As you say, there's a
> valid reason for wanting modules to be built with the same compiler.

Ryan was suggesting it.

Offhand, I think it would probably work, but we'd want to test pretty carefully. It would probably be easier to record which configure.compiler was used in the build and have MacPorts be smart enough to know that if your configure.compiler changes you'll need to rebuild perl (and any already built modules) with the new one.

> And on a purely pragmatic note, it was a simple matter of a reinplace
> to strip archflags from perl's build settings and get perl modules to
> use their own archflags. Getting them to use a different compiler
> entirely seems a lot harder.

I actually don't think it would be that hard (with Module::Build you can pass --config cc=foo --config ld=bar, MakeMaker looks like it uses CC and LD). It might be worth looking at what other packaging systems do (and if they've seen any problems with whatever solution they employ).

--
Daniel J. Luke