Please test branches/release_2_0 with Xcode 4.3

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Mon Feb 20 23:04:19 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 05:14:36PM +1100, Joshua Root wrote:
> Seems to work OK in my basic testing. The sooner we catch any problems
> and get a release out, the better.

I have been testing this and think we're close to ready for release.
I haven't had any problems with it once correctly set up.

Right now, what I'm worried about are the kind of errors we'll get if
Xcode is not properly installed/configured. There are a couple
non-obvious steps you have to take and the results can be surprising:

  1) if you install Xcode but not the command-line tools, base will not
     catch it; usually, ports will just fail to build when autoconf
     can't find a working compiler. Can we check for this somewhere?

  2) if you install Xcode but don't run xcode-select, xcodebuild won't
     work. You'll get the error
        Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
        Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build
     ...so it's clear something's wrong with Xcode, but not how to fix
     it. jberry's changes in trunk will clear that up, but if we don't
     want to merge those, how about adding a FAQ link or something?

There's also still the issue with perl/python/apr/etc hardcoding the
compiler path, but that may not be a problem to fix in base.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/