The future of installing software on Mac OS X via MacPorts

Francois Claire fclaire at free.fr
Fri Feb 24 05:17:01 PST 2012

> I sincerely hope Apple does not do that; it would suck.
Perhaps PortMgr team could start a discussion with Apple to discuss the
future of macports in Mac OSX and more generally about Unix-level access
in Mac OSX.

I don't believe it's in Apple's interest to make the Mac
yet-another-IOS-like product for dummies. We are a lot to use daily Unix
comand-line tools while enjoying nice and user-friendly graphical apps
on our Macs. This is what makes Mac OSX so great: it's the power of Unix
together with a great GUI.

Maybe MacOSX could run in two modes: basic and advanced usage ?

However if Apple don't hear anything from us, they might take wrong
decisions and lead MacOSX in a direction we don't want...