The future of installing software on Mac OS X via MacPorts

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Mon Feb 27 01:09:50 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 14:17, Francois Claire <fclaire at free.fr> wrote:
> I don't believe it's in Apple's interest to make the Mac
> yet-another-IOS-like product for dummies. We are a lot to use daily Unix
> comand-line tools while enjoying nice and user-friendly graphical apps on
> our Macs. This is what makes Mac OSX so great: it's the power of Unix
> together with a great GUI.

There's a John Gruber's post about the ML presentation Apple did for
him. The systems won't merge but will get more integrated. I see no
harm in this, or at least no worse harm than has been in past.

> Maybe MacOSX could run in two modes: basic and advanced usage ?

And that's what already happens, most "soho" users have never open
Terminal.app and never will.

> However if Apple don't hear anything from us, they might take wrong
> decisions and lead MacOSX in a direction we don't want...

Personally I highly doubt that these kind of things are subjected to
end users' opinion, be it Portmgr Team or not.

--
Andrea