VirtualBox and the missing ConsoleMessage command on Snow Leopard

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sun Jan 29 00:12:55 PST 2012

Hi,

when trying to start virtualbox on my Snow Leopard I got these strange messages:
---
$ sudo bash /opt/macports-test/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/VirtualBox start
Password:
/opt/macports-test/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/VirtualBox: line 71: ConsoleMessage: command not found
/opt/macports-test/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/VirtualBox: line 77: ConsoleMessage: command not found
/opt/macports-test/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/VirtualBox: line 83: ConsoleMessage: command not found
/opt/macports-test/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/VirtualBox: line 89: ConsoleMessage: command not found
---

Google found this solution for me:
---
alias ConsoleMessage=echo
---

I guess one should replace those "ConsoleMessage"s with "echo"'s in said /opt/macports-test/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/VirtualBox...
This would mean to patch the file using VB's port file.
On the other hand I figure that Oracle should be informed that there is no such command on Snow Leopard.

I am surprised that no-one else ran into this trouble.

Greets,
Marko