objcopy

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 29 01:16:28 PST 2012

On Jan 28, 2012, at 16:42, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> $ port notes binutils
>> binutils has the following notes:
>> Having binutils installed will cause some other ports to fail to build. Consider uninstalling binutils.
>>
>> Is there another port that provides objcopy and installs outside PATH?
>
> I wonder if that messages is only relevant when the "g" prefix is not used, and since the variant to do that seems to be gone these days I'd venture to say that's an ignorable warning.

Nope; the warning is accurate. Having binutils installed, particularly its gas assembler, will cause many ports to fail to build. It's not a matter of prefix; ports will find an use binutils' gas, even with its "g" prefix. From "svn blame $(port file binutils)", and tracking back through the history a bit, you can learn that the warning was added in r67114. See:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/22681

and all its duplicates.