Mountain Lion and MacPorts 2.1.2

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Jul 25 20:54:57 PDT 2012

On Jul 25, 2012, at 19:38, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2012, at 21:14, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>
>> My guess would be that the Lion pkg should work fine under ML.  I don't see why it wouldn't.
>>
>> Josh, is there any reason in particular why you think we need a ML pkg?  For that matter, why is there a separate SL package?  I can understand why there would be a separate package for Leopard (ppc), but SL+ are all i386+x86_64, and I don't think there's anything that is OS version dependent in base
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> We've always had separate MacPorts installers for each supported version of OS X. Sometimes that's because different OS versions have different versions of the libraries we use. Please do not install a MacPorts release designed for one OS version on another OS version. In fact the pre-install check should prevent you from doing so.

Can you give me a specific technical reason (bug report, specific API issue, library version issue, etc) that the Lion package won't work on ML?  I really don't think there should be any problem (other than perhaps checks in the pkg itself). I think that the SL one should also work on Lion and ML.

--Jeremy