Mountain Lion and MacPorts 2.1.2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 25 22:02:49 PDT 2012

On Jul 25, 2012, at 22:54, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2012, at 19:38, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 25, 2012, at 21:14, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>>
>>> My guess would be that the Lion pkg should work fine under ML.  I don't see why it wouldn't.
>>>
>>> Josh, is there any reason in particular why you think we need a ML pkg?  For that matter, why is there a separate SL package?  I can understand why there would be a separate package for Leopard (ppc), but SL+ are all i386+x86_64, and I don't think there's anything that is OS version dependent in base
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> We've always had separate MacPorts installers for each supported version of OS X. Sometimes that's because different OS versions have different versions of the libraries we use. Please do not install a MacPorts release designed for one OS version on another OS version. In fact the pre-install check should prevent you from doing so.
>
> Can you give me a specific technical reason (bug report, specific API issue, library version issue, etc) that the Lion package won't work on ML?

No, I have no information about Mountain Lion yet. I don't know what library versions of things it contains or if any differences would cause us problems. Once Apple emails me a Mac App Store redemption code that hasn't already been used by someone else, I'll be able to upgrade. I also don't really know if the Snow Leopard installer would work on Lion; I've only had Lion for a few days and haven't felt any need to compare the Snow Leopard and Lion MacPorts installers. Our current strategy is one release per OS X version. I'd love to streamline that to have just a single release, but I don't think anybody's tried to put in that effort yet.

> I really don't think there should be any problem (other than perhaps checks in the pkg itself). I think that the SL one should also work on Lion and ML.

I agree it seems like it should work.