dmg packages

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 1 10:28:58 PDT 2012

On Jun 1, 2012, at 12:24, Craig Treleaven wrote:

>>> Yes--unless you build those dmgs with a different prefix :-)
>>
>> Which, again, you absolutely should do. Please do not distribute disk images that install things into /opt/local, or you may earn yourself a place on our ProblemHotlist:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#xmlwf
>
> It almost sounds like a badge of honour!  ;)  Is the prefix one of those things that can be overriden on the command line? Something like 'sudo port mdmg myport prefix=/opt/myport'?

No, it can only be changed at the time that you initially install MacPorts, by passing the --prefix argument to the ./configure script when you build MacPorts from source.

You can however easily have any number of separate MacPorts installations in separate prefixes, if you plan to do a lot of packaging and want to keep that separate from your normal MacPorts prefix.