rev-upgrade to determine if binary is distributable

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Wed Jun 6 16:16:43 PDT 2012

On Jun 6, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2012, at 17:29, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
>> Would it make sense that while rev-upgrade was testing links it could collect licenses and make a determination if a port is distributable?
>>
>> Example: djvulibre is not distributable do to an rdep on ImageMagick though I fail to see where anything djvulibre installs is linked to anything ImageMagick installs.
>

> At first glance, I don't see how those two tasks are related.

It's not so much that the tasks are related but rather that rev-upgrade is already testing all the links so it seems like an efficient place to test the license of files port. See below for what appears to be a case where no files are actually linked but the port still shows a license conflict.

> If you want to know if there are any installed programs linked with libraries that no longer exist, use "sudo port rev-upgrade". If you want to know if a port foo is distributable, run "port_binary_distributable.tcl -v foo":
>
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/tags/release_2_1_1/base/portmgr/jobs/port_binary_distributable.tcl

Yes, I currently use port_binary_distributable.tcl.

This is what I am trying to understand.

$ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/base/portmgr/jobs/port_binary_distributable.tcl -v pdf2djvu
dependency 'ImageMagick' has license 'Apache-2' which conflicts with license 'GPL-2' from 'pdf2djvu'
$ port deps pdf2djvu
Full Name: pdf2djvu @0.7.13_0
Build Dependencies:   pkgconfig, gsed
Library Dependencies: djvulibre, poppler, libiconv, GraphicsMagick

So far no dependency on ImageMagick so it must be an rdep.

$ port rdeps pdf2djvu
The following ports are dependencies of pdf2djvu @0.7.13_0:
  djvulibre
    ImageMagick
$ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/base/portmgr/jobs/port_binary_distributable.tcl -v djvulibre
djvulibre is distributable

I am confused as to why pdf2djvu with GPL-2 and no direct dep on ImageMagick is not distributable while djvulibre with GPL-2+ and a direct build dep on ImageMagick is distributable.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)