[90985] trunk/dports/science

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Mar 22 01:57:13 PDT 2012

On 2012-3-22 13:15 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2012, at 13:22, Leo Singer wrote:
>
>> On Mar 21, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> I'd also still check whether adding a universal variant (i.e. by adding the line "variant universal {}" on a line before you invoke [get_canonical_archs]) works.
>>
>> Both that and
>>
>> universal_variant yes
>>
>> worked, but according to the MacPorts guide, 'yes' is the default for universal_variant.  Why wasn't a universal variant added by default?
>
> "use_configure no" turns off the universal variant. (The default universal variant functions by modifying the environment variables and flags sent to a standard autoconf configure script; that can't work when you use "use_configure no" to tell MacPorts that this project does not use a standard autoconf configure script.)

The check used to be along the lines of "if {$universal_variant &&
$use_configure} {declare universal variant}", but these days the default
for universal_variant actually is $use_configure. There are still some
other factors in the check, like use_xmkmf.

> Also, even if the default universal variant appears to be there, [get_canonical_archflags] does not recognize it and you still have to put "variant universal {}" above it. Good to know that "universal_variant yes" also works; that may be the preferable way to write it.

The default universal variant isn't declared until just before the
variants are executed. You can't know until that point whether one of
the options that disqualify it will be set.

- Josh