Apache httpd 2.4.x layout

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Mon May 28 10:00:01 PDT 2012

On May 28, 2012, at 9:33 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> I'm starting a new thread with this as the older thread is getting a bit
> full with a lot of stuff and this is a somewhat new discussion
>
> OK ... in the old thread we more or less agreed on this structure :
>
> Proposed apache 2.4 layout:
> ServerRoot              ::      ${prefix}/www/
> DocumentRoot            ::      ${prefix}/www/htdocs
> Apache Config File      ::      ${prefix}/etc/${name}/httpd.conf
> Include Files           ::      ${prefix}/include/${name}
> Other Config Files      ::      ${prefix}/etc/${name}/extra/
> Module Locations        ::      ${prefix}/lib/${name}/modules
> ErrorLog                ::      ${prefix}/var/log/${name}/error_log
> AccessLog               ::      ${prefix}/var/log/${name}/access_log
> cgi-bin                 ::      ${prefix}/www/cgi-bin
> binary                  ::      ${prefix}/bin/httpd
> start/stop              ::      ${prefix}/bin/apachectl
> apxs                    ::      ${prefix}/bin/apxs
>
> Is this the final structure ???

Would any other webserver ports want to use www/htdocs or www/cgi-bin directories?

Should we subdir them; www/${name}/htdocs and www/${name}/cgi-bin?

I personally put all my files in other locations using apache configuration files. If others do commonly use these dirs and a port conflict develops, it could be a pain for the user to reconfigure a bunch of stuff if we move these dirs later. The existing apache2 port does write files to DocumentRoot and cgi-bin.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)