Apache httpd 2.4.x layout

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Mon May 28 12:30:25 PDT 2012

Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On May 28, 2012, at 9:33 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>
>> I'm starting a new thread with this as the older thread is getting a bit
>> full with a lot of stuff and this is a somewhat new discussion
>>
>> OK ... in the old thread we more or less agreed on this structure :
>>
>> Proposed apache 2.4 layout:
>> ServerRoot              ::      ${prefix}/www/
>> DocumentRoot            ::      ${prefix}/www/htdocs
>> Apache Config File      ::      ${prefix}/etc/${name}/httpd.conf
>> Include Files           ::      ${prefix}/include/${name}
>> Other Config Files      ::      ${prefix}/etc/${name}/extra/
>> Module Locations        ::      ${prefix}/lib/${name}/modules
>> ErrorLog                ::      ${prefix}/var/log/${name}/error_log
>> AccessLog               ::      ${prefix}/var/log/${name}/access_log
>> cgi-bin                 ::      ${prefix}/www/cgi-bin
>> binary                  ::      ${prefix}/bin/httpd
>> start/stop              ::      ${prefix}/bin/apachectl
>> apxs                    ::      ${prefix}/bin/apxs
>>
>> Is this the final structure ???
>
> Would any other webserver ports want to use www/htdocs or www/cgi-bin directories?

They are for the standard default site from Apache.
We could put it a level deeper for clarity & consistency :
DocumentRoot            ::      ${prefix}/www/${name}/htdocs
cgi-bin                 ::      ${prefix}/www/${name}/cgi-bin

> Should we subdir them; www/${name}/htdocs and www/${name}/cgi-bin?

I like the additional level.
That makes it possible to have eg:
    www
      wordpress
        htdocs
        cgi-bin
        mysql
        php-cookies
        php-upload
        etc ... etc

> I personally put all my files in other locations using apache configuration files. If others do commonly use these dirs and a port conflict develops, it could be a pain for the user to reconfigure a bunch of stuff if we move these dirs later. The existing apache2 port does write files to DocumentRoot and cgi-bin.

I more or less virt-host _everything_
eg         : http://wordpress.example.com/
instead of : http://www.example.com/wordpress/

> Regards,