Apache httpd 2.4.x layout

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Mon May 28 11:31:33 PDT 2012

> And include the module.conf in httpd.conf?
> That's what I do:
> # Include upload_progress module
> Include conf/extra/httpd-upload_progress.conf

Like Ubuntu's setup, I'd include all confs in the enabled directories rather than files.
Include conf.d/ (non-modules, such as phpmyadmin)
or
Include mods-enabled/ (modules, such as upload_progress)

> How about a module variant "link" that simlinks conf/modules/module_name.conf to conf/modules-active/module_name.conf and use a wildcard include in httpd.conf:
> Include conf/modules-active/*

A module isn't very useful if it's not in-use: the advanced case would be to disable it without installing. I'd make the +link variant default, and let the user disable the variant if desired.

This could simply run our own version of a2enmod.

> Dovecot adds number prefixes to the conf name to control the order of loading. I believe some apache modules must be loaded after others.

In the past this mattered; I'm not sure if it does anymore. I'd let the maintainers figure that one out.