xcode-select problem on a clean install of OS X Lion, XCode and MacPorts

Marin Saric marin at macports.org
Tue May 29 12:47:30 PDT 2012

Hi,

In an attempt to reproduce some build errors as accurately as
possible, I installed XCode and MacPorts on a bare bones machine with
only a fresh verison of 10.7 on it and a few unrelated apps. I then
installed the Command Line Tools, per the MacPorts user guide.

It turned out that I had to manually run

xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app

before building MacPorts would work. The xcode-select defaulted to
non-existing "/Developer"

Suggestions:
1) Verify that xcode-select points to a sane path.
2) If not, give /Applications/Xcode.app a try, run xcode-select -switch and
issue a warning.
3) Make an intelligible warning about the missing Command Line Tools

Otherwise new users might be stumped as to what's going on.

Any feedback on this? Should I file a bug?

I am willing to contribute fixes,
    Marin