[93767] trunk/dports/python/py-spyder

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Wed May 30 17:07:04 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> > They won't be changed every time they upgrade; python27 will point to
> > ~/.spyder2-27, and 26 to ~/.spyder2-26
>
> Sorry, I meant every major upgrade of Python. When upgrading from python26
> to python27 a user will (probably unexpectedly since an upgrade like that
> would have gobs of python-related package noise and miss the log messages)
> lose their preferences--unless they're watching the pages of MacPorts
> output.
>
> > If people installed both (for testing codes with 26 and 27, for
> > example) previously, both would run only one (26 or 27, depending on
> > which made the preference files) python in the interactive
> > interpreters... This seems worse than having two preference
> > directories.
>
> I'm not familiar with spyder, so I defer use cases all back to you :-) I'm
> just asking if it's a typical use case, as it seems odd to me to have
> version-specific preferences and the associated upgrade headaches thrown
> upon everyone unless it is deemed necessary.
>
> You're the authority on saying it's a good idea :-) just want to
> understand that it is typical to run two different versions at the same
> time, that most users benefit from this.

Perhaps a +multiversion variant and setting the pyNN-spyder variants to
conflict with each other unless installed with +multiversion (which would
enable the separate preference directories.)

Spyder is a development environment, so I don't think having multiple
versions is too far-fetched. And the step of having to rename the directory
for a new version just might remind the user to double-check that settings
are correct for the new version...

--
Eric A. Borisch