[93767] trunk/dports/python/py-spyder

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed May 30 14:59:38 PDT 2012

> They won't be changed every time they upgrade; python27 will point to
> ~/.spyder2-27, and 26 to ~/.spyder2-26

Sorry, I meant every major upgrade of Python. When upgrading from python26 to python27 a user will (probably unexpectedly since an upgrade like that would have gobs of python-related package noise and miss the log messages) lose their preferences--unless they're watching the pages of MacPorts output.

> If people installed both (for testing codes with 26 and 27, for
> example) previously, both would run only one (26 or 27, depending on
> which made the preference files) python in the interactive
> interpreters... This seems worse than having two preference
> directories.

I'm not familiar with spyder, so I defer use cases all back to you :-) I'm just asking if it's a typical use case, as it seems odd to me to have version-specific preferences and the associated upgrade headaches thrown upon everyone unless it is deemed necessary.

You're the authority on saying it's a good idea :-) just want to understand that it is typical to run two different versions at the same time, that most users benefit from this.