www portfiles - inconsistent settings

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu May 31 07:29:01 PDT 2012

On May 30, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> I do think standardization & consistency is a valuable goal :-)
>
> !!!BUT!!! having said that this file structure shouldn't be made by the
> port by default, we might change our mind later -or- a maintainer migth
> elect to do some of these things. www websites are in my experience
> storing their settings inside the document root because of what's
> usually allowed by webhosting firms. Thus creating the /html/ will give
> sysadmins a lot of advantages - at least IMHO ;-)

A sysadmin can create directories outside of tmp and/or ${prefix} for storing private data. I have mysql data outside prefix for example and point to it in prefix/etc/mysqlx/my.cnf.

Most webapps have many non-html files as part of their distribution. If we want to subdir the distribution files then something like www/${name}/distribution might be a better name.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)