breakage from r99712

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Nov 17 07:50:39 PST 2012

On Nov 17, 2012, at 8:53 AM, Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:

> Joshua,
>    Do you realize that https://trac.macports.org/changeset/99712 broke all
> tcl/tk software that uses software like blt which uses fork() without exec()
> like blt...
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-tickets/2012-July/115001.html

So in other words, software which was broken before the update is still broken after it.

The only code that should fork without exec is code that is written by people who really really really understand what they're doing (and those people know not to do it).  fork() without exec() is just not safe on our platform.  Fix blt.

> If you are going to make a rash change like this, please warn the other
> developers so we can attempt to limit the breakage in our packages.

We shouldn't cater to broken code at the expense of flexibility.  I support jmr's changes.  blt is broken and should be fixed.

--Jeremy