breakage from r99712

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Sat Nov 17 07:54:45 PST 2012

On Nov 17, 2012, at 9:01 AM, Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 08:53:56AM -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
>> Joshua,
>>    Do you realize that https://trac.macports.org/changeset/99712 broke all
>> tcl/tk software that uses software like blt which uses fork() without exec()
>> like blt...
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-tickets/2012-July/115001.html
>>
>> If you are going to make a rash change like this, please warn the other
>> developers so we can attempt to limit the breakage in our packages.
>>          Jack
>
>  The changes to tcl seem particularly ill concieved since it seems to leave
> users without even the option of building a no_corefoundation variant as the
> non-default.

What do you mean?  You can build with -corefoundation ...

> Also do we seriously think that more people will be using
> tk in quartz mode than in the legacy x11 mode?

I think the tcl change is fine.  You're changing topics now to focus on the tk change.  Would you prefer a conflicting x11 variant?

> If not, please leave the default
> to disable corefoundation and have the tk quartz variant depend on the
> tcl corefoundation variant. As a first step, please revert r99712.

I don't think it should be reverted.  I can see perhaps changing the default_variants in tk, but I see no reason to --disable-corefoundation by default in tcl.

--Jeremy