qt4-mac and qt4-x11

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Nov 23 14:01:19 PST 2012

On 2012-11-23 17:08, Michael Dickens wrote:
> I dream of some day having a +x11 variant to qt4-mac, but I doubt it
> will be fully ABI compatible with the +quartz variant.  So, it might
> make sense to keep a qt4-x11 version which is not compatible with the
> qt4-mac version at least for now.  I will look into updating qt4-x11 to
> the latest release, [...]

Thanks for looking into this issue.

> [...] I think we should create multiple ports for the
> Qt series since 5.0 is coming out soon and we also should have a 4.7.4
> version for older OSs (e.g. 10.5 PPC).  Hence, moving to {qt47-mac,
> qt48-mac, qt48-x11, qt50-mac} and so forth.

If there is no reason such as supporting older releases of Mac OS X,
please avoid creating multiple ports providing the same software in
different versions. These different versions cause a lot of confusion
for users - and developers as well as they won't know what to specify in
dependencies.

In this case, 10.5 PPC is a version of Mac OS X that is not officially
supported by MacPorts for quite a few years, so I would not invest the
time to prepare new ports for such an old version.

Rainer