[OT] Standalone Darwin (was: Re: 100,000th commit)

Daiyu Hurst daiyu.hurst at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 10:23:54 PST 2012

> Subject: Standalone Darwin (was: Re: 100,000th commit)
>
> On 2012-11-24 10:00, vincent habchi wrote:
> > BTW, and totally unrelated: by chance, would you know someone more or
> > less versed in getting a xnu environment running? I'm looking to
> > upgrade my G5 server to Snow Leopard, which happens to be available
> > for PPC, but only
>
> I am not sure what you are after but for running a non-OS-X
> version of Darwin get in contact with the developers of
> PureDarwin, which is a project with the goal to create an
> open distribution of the Darwin kernel and BSD userland.
> Recently they released a new beta of their work [1].
>
> Although I have no idea what kind of real hardware platforms
> are supported besides running the image in a virtual machine.
>
> Website: http://puredarwin.org
> IRC: #puredarwin on FreeNode

Also

https://groups.google.com/group/puredarwin

However, there's been no discussion of PPC code for quite some time, other
than offhand mentions that the unified source code hasn't had much attention
from Apple regarding whether it does or doesn't work on the PPC, for a long
time. But 10.5 ended the maintaining of separate source trees.

The xnu kernel by itself is fairly easy to build. I just upgraded Darwin/x86
8.0.1 to a hybrid system, still mostly 8.0.1 but running kernel 8.7.0. You
would probably need updated system kernel extensions as well.

-dai