[98388] trunk/dports/databases

MK-MacPorts at techno.ms MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Fri Oct 5 09:45:30 PDT 2012

On Oct 5, 2012, at 6:39 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> Feel free to use `$ git log --abbrev-commit --pretty=oneline` to find out just how long your hash needs to be to be guaranteed unique in the repository. Seven is the default, but it will increase if necessary.

Still, this would be only valid for all existing hashes. Imagine a new changeset would appear which would increase the default to 8.
If that short hash had been used at MacPorts it would likely cause an error, wouldn't it.

Anyway, I saw that from the 188 ports (using github portgroup at the moment) only SIX use the hash.
And only ONE of them is shortened, i.e. Craig's mythtv.
All other ports use normal version numbering.