[98388] trunk/dports/databases

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Fri Oct 5 10:06:19 PDT 2012

> Still, this would be only valid for all existing hashes. Imagine a new changeset would appear which would increase the default to 8.
> If that short hash had been used at MacPorts it would likely cause an error, wouldn't it.

Given that their "book" says the largest git repositories they've seen just barely require 12 digits... I don't think we really need to worry. If paranoid we could use 12 or we could use the whole thing: as long as it works, great.

If there's a collision, it will error out rather than give you bad data:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/7128558

> Anyway, I saw that from the 188 ports (using github portgroup at the moment) only SIX use the hash.
> And only ONE of them is shortened, i.e. Craig's mythtv.
> All other ports use normal version numbering.

Well, "normal versions" are just aliases (tags) that point to a commit hash. It's simply a convenience, which some upstream maintainers don't do--if it's there, great.