[98388] trunk/dports/databases

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Oct 5 17:06:00 PDT 2012

On 10/05/2012 10:06 AM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> Still, this would be only valid for all existing hashes. Imagine a new changeset would appear which would increase the default to 8.
>> If that short hash had been used at MacPorts it would likely cause an error, wouldn't it.
>
> Given that their "book" says the largest git repositories they've seen just barely require 12 digits... I don't think we really need to worry. If paranoid we could use 12 or we could use the whole thing: as long as it works, great.
>
> If there's a collision, it will error out rather than give you bad data:
> http://stackoverflow.com/a/7128558

The problem for us is if we pick a truncated hash and then there's a
collision, one needs to figure out which of the two untruncated hashes
is the correct one.  Presumably, it would be the older one, but for
unpopular ports, it could be a while to figure that out.

Seems like picking something 12 or above then means you don't need to
worry about this problem.

Blair