buildbot: ./configure: line 27: /dev/null: Permission denied

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Oct 6 20:23:49 PDT 2012

On Oct 6, 2012, at 21:56, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2012, at 15:42, Joshua Root wrote:

>>> Apparently only the Snow Leopard one, actually.
>>
>> It seems to have broken somewhere in or just before ports build 11369.
>
> We've had the problem before of ports deleting /dev/null, with qt4-mac:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/22701
>
> And git-core:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33127
>
> The problem occurs when a port compiles a test with "-o /dev/null", because although that will discard the output file, which is what's wanted, it will also *delete* the output file (i.e. delete /dev/null) if the test fails. Since we only saw this problem on Snow Leopard I guess only gcc does that, and clang doesn't.
>
> Build 11369 was mosesdecoder, and I did find the "-o /dev/null" construct in the file jam-files/sanity.jam. I've just verified on my Snow Leopard test machine that building mosesdecoder as-is does delete /dev/null. Now I'll restart and patch the port to use "-o dummy" instead and I'll try again.

Yes, that worked. Committed in r98496.

Bill, could you please restart the Snow Leopard buildbot computer (or manually recreate /dev/null if you know how), then re-run port build 11369 and all subsequent port and base builds?

Hiroshi, could you let the developers of mosesdecoder know about this problem and the fix?

Thanks.