.conf files for Apache2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 17 06:21:17 PDT 2012

On Oct 17, 2012, at 07:26, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> At 10:02 PM -0400 10/16/12, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Newbie-level question here:  MythTV comes with an optional web-based frontend  (called "MythWeb", surprisingly enough) and I'm trying to get it running with MacPorts Apache2, php5, and my already-working MySQL database.  I not sure where to put the mythweb.conf file.
>>
>> The Linux installation instructions say to put it in '/etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf' (Fedora) and list some other possible locations used by other distributions.  The instructions for using the system Apache on OS X say to put it in '/etc/apache2/other/mythweb.conf'.
>>
>> Is '/opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/mythweb.conf' the right place for a MacPorts installation?
>
> Following up to myself, but...
>
> I found MythWeb worked if I added the following to apache2/conf/http.conf -
>
> Include conf/extra/mythweb.conf
>
> That isn't the right way, is it?  (Newbie, like I said.)

Yes, that's the right way.

The Linux installation instructions, which told you to put the conf file in /etc/httpd/conf.d, seem to rely on the fact that that Linux installation's Apache configuration automatically loads all conf files in the /etc/httpd/conf.d directory. MacPorts Apache doesn't automatically load conf files in a directory; it only reads httpd.conf. So if you want to also load a secondary conf file, you put the file somewhere (the "extra" directory seems like a fine choice) and then manually add an Include directive to the httpd.conf.