zmq update

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 18 11:38:53 PDT 2012

On Oct 18, 2012, at 13:26, Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:

> Regarding https://trac.macports.org/changeset/98850:
>
> You need to bump the revision on all the ports you updated otherwise they won't pick up the new dependency.

Yes, but changing these ports' library dependencies from zmq to zmq22 makes them all fail to install now if zmq was already installed. So anyone with these ports installed will encounter this problem the next time they upgrade or reinstall (which will be immediately if we increase the revision, as we should do):

$ sudo port install czmq
--->  Computing dependencies for czmq
--->  Dependencies to be installed: zmq
--->  Fetching distfiles for zmq
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for zmq
--->  Extracting zmq
--->  Configuring zmq
--->  Building zmq
--->  Staging zmq into destroot
--->  Installing zmq @2.2.0_0
--->  Activating zmq @2.2.0_0
--->  Cleaning zmq
--->  Fetching distfiles for czmq
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for czmq
--->  Extracting czmq
--->  Configuring czmq
--->  Building czmq
--->  Staging czmq into destroot
--->  Installing czmq @1.2.0_0
--->  Activating czmq @1.2.0_0
--->  Cleaning czmq
$ sudo port sync
--->  Updating the ports tree
$ sudo port -n upgrade --force czmq
--->  Computing dependencies for czmq
Error: Unable to upgrade port: Can't install zmq22 because conflicting ports are installed: zmq
$

zmq, zmq20 and zmq22 should be made to install files in different places and to not conflict with one another. That is what the port naming convention of having a version number suffix means. This is in contrast to the foo / foo-devel naming convention which means the ports conflict.

> Also, you added a zmq port but there was already one in sysutils/zmq which you need to manage.

Yes, which caused the portindex on the server to fail:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2012-October/020778.html

> It's for 2.2.0 and has nomaintainer, so it looks like you could just delete it.

There is also a zmq20 port. Please decide what category(ies) zmq, zmq20 and zmq22 belong in, and put them all in them.

Also, the new zmq port that was added claims to be version 3.2.0 but actually installs 3.2.0-rc1. The version line should reflect the actual version of software installed.

Both the new zmq port and the new zmq22 port were "svn add"ed to the repository. They should have been "svn copy"ed from the existing port, so that the four-year-long history of the port is preserved.