[98879] trunk/dports/science/mpich2/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 21 00:17:27 PDT 2012

On Oct 20, 2012, at 23:04, Eric A. Borisch wrote:

> It wasn't clear to me with archives that embed the portfile what does and doesn't (warrant a bulb.) If the archive's (from packages.macports.org) portfile and the live version don't match, what happens? Does it still use the archive, or force the user to rebuild? Or use the archive files but the live description of conflicts?

I know that when you install a port, via a binary archive or built from source, a copy of the portfile is stored in the registry. The only thing that copy is used for is to run any pre- or post-deactivate block the port defines. Most ports don't define any such block so the portfile in the registry isn't used in those cases.

I know the binary archives on packages.macports.org contain a copy of the portfile. I have no idea what that copy is used for.

> This is why I bumped it. Is there some description I missed that clarifies this?

I don't think the rule has changed. If your change changes the files the port installs, or changes the library or runtime dependencies, or changes the variants, or would in any other way be of benefit for users who already have the port installed to reinstall it, then increase the revision to rebuild it, otherwise don't.