[98879] trunk/dports/science/mpich2/Portfile

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Oct 21 00:40:15 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-21 18:17 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2012, at 23:04, Eric A. Borisch wrote:
>
>> It wasn't clear to me with archives that embed the portfile what does and doesn't (warrant a bulb.) If the archive's (from packages.macports.org) portfile and the live version don't match, what happens? Does it still use the archive, or force the user to rebuild? Or use the archive files but the live description of conflicts?
>
> I know that when you install a port, via a binary archive or built from source, a copy of the portfile is stored in the registry. The only thing that copy is used for is to run any pre- or post-deactivate block the port defines. Most ports don't define any such block so the portfile in the registry isn't used in those cases.
>
> I know the binary archives on packages.macports.org contain a copy of the portfile. I have no idea what that copy is used for.

In normal use, nothing. The portfile in the sources.conf location is
used when installing.

I think the idea was to enable a potential binary-only package manager
to run the existing activate/deactivate code (and probably to access any
other metadata stored in the portfile if needed). It does also allow you
to install an older version of a port by simply specifying the archive
URL as the porturl.

- Josh