wxWidgets situation

Wahlstedt Jyrki jwa at macports.org
Tue Oct 30 05:19:22 PDT 2012

Hi, Aljaž,
On 30.10.2012, at 13.28, Aljaž Srebrnič <g5pw at macports.org> wrote:

> Hello list,
> I'd like to know how are we gonna resolve the wxWidgets situation. Now we have:
> wxWidgets                      @2.8.12         graphics/wxWidgets
> wxWidgets-devel           @2.9.4          graphics/wxWidgets-devel
> wxWidgets26                  @2.6.4          graphics/wxWidgets26
> wxWidgets30                  @2.9.4          graphics/wxWidgets30
>
> so, wxwidgets30 is version 2.9 and this is quite confusing. As the comaintainer of gnuplot which has an optional wxwidgets dependency I'd like to ask you how I should proceed. Should I just add a wxwidgets30 dependency insetad of wxwidgets? How should I handle the 64/32 bit builds? Any best practices on this?

This has been discussed a bit lately, so from the easy end: wxWidgets26 is the previous stable version, quite old, and as far as I know, nobody uses it any more, it was created here due to some dependency need long time ago, may be deleted in the future. The wxWidgets port is the current stable port with the known big problem that it doesn't build on 10.8 without unsupported hacks and on earlier systems it builds only 32-bit due to its use of Carbon. At the moment wxWidgets-devel and wxWidgets30 are identical, the latter being there waiting the release of the next stable version that can be built 64-bit on Cocoa, the release hopefully being near, so wxWidgets will be for 3.0 series, wxWidgets-devel continues its life with the next development version. The situation is of course not quite nice, partly due to the fact that wxWidgets development and releases seem to take a lot of time, though I'm sure the wxWidgets team agrees with us there.
The reason for wxWidgets30 containing 2.9.4 is the apparently good quality of the version, the (hopefully) imminent release of 3.0, and the fact that it is the only wxWidgets version to build on 10.8. How you set your dependencies in your ports, is obviously for you to decide, but on 10.8 wxWidgets is anyway out of question (2.8 series is always 32-bit, 2.9 and later 64-bit).

> Thanks,
> Aljaž Srebrnič
> -- --
> My public key:  http://bit.ly/g5pw_pubkey

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780 6366 EFD9 139C C386