Accept to GSoC 2013

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Apr 10 02:15:33 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-09 16:36, Eric A. Borisch wrote:
> Can we finally get some usage reporting (downloads from the packages
> site, if nothing else) implemented so we know what ports are used
> frequently/infrequently. This can help with pruning in the future (if a
> package is broken, and no one is using it, perhaps it's time to cull.)
>
> I think this was a former GSoC project that never got carried across the
> finish line?

The problem with this one and other projects in the past have been that
the students actually finished the code in their branch. However, the
student disappeared after the end of the summer (although they always
promise otherwise) and then the code lingers around and never gets merged.

We should change our expectations here. A successful project should have
merged changes to trunk at the end of the summer. This should avoid such
situations in the future.

Projects implementing web interfaces such as MPWA or the statistics have
the additional problem that we never got it deployed in production.

Rainer