Please review first draft of Fossick - a MacPorts GUI

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 11:58:06 PDT 2013

On 20/04/2013 09:54, Ian Wadham wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> The first draft of the MacPorts GUI app called Fossick can be downloaded from:
>
>     http://www.filedropper.com/fossickclonetar
>
> by clicking a Download button or two, once you can find your way past all the
> ads.  Does anybody know a better file share site?  I'm a newbie at this stuff.
>
> If you download into a working directory of your choice, you should get a file
> called FossickClone.tar.gz.  Use "tar xvzf FossickClone.tar.gz" to unpack it
> into a subdirectory structure called "FossickClone".
>
> Now you will need to use Xcode to Open… the Fossick.xcodeproj directory you
> will find in the FossickClone subdirectory.  Use Command-B to build the code
> or use the Run arrow button at the top left of the Xcode toolbar to build and run.
>
> Before you do, just a few checks:
>
>    1. Fossick assumes the MacPorts prefix to be /opt/local: that is not configurable yet.
>
>    2. I have been compiling, building and testing with Xcode 4.6.1 and OS X 10.7.5 Lion:
>        Fossick might not work with an earlier Xcode, compiler set or Cocoa library.
>
>       The problem is that Apple has made sweeping and frequent changes to such
>        fundamental features as dynamic memory management in Objective-C, how
>        widgets behave when a window is resized, how Interface Builder links to apps
>        and how Cocoa "bindings" and Interface Builder "connections" to apps work.
>
>    3. Please have a look at the README file first.  It covers the development status
>        of Fossick and the operation of the GUI.
>
> I would appreciate reviews of any aspect of Fossick, but in particular:
>
>    a. The specification - in file FossickSpec.txt.
>
>    b. The GUI - how it works, ease of use, etc.
>
>    c. The source code.
>
>    d. Backwards compatibilty - in theory Xcode 4.6 can build for earlier versions of
>        OS X than 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion, but I have no idea how that works
>        out in practice and documentation seems to be vague to non-existent.
>
> Re points c. and d., I have been struggling a bit with Xcode, Cocoa and Interface
> Builder and would appreciate some "mentoring" if anyone can offer it.  After 11
> years of C++ and the Qt library, I am experiencing a little culture shock … :-(

You were right about any earlier version on OS X: it throws a bahzillion
errors on 10.6.8 & Xcode 3.2.6.

If you want the output of the build results, can you let me know how to
save them to file? I did scour all available options but couldn't see a
suitable one (Xcode is not my usual build environment).

Cheers,

  Phil...