[108691] trunk/dports/www/serf1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 1 23:00:51 PDT 2013

On Aug 2, 2013, at 00:47, Blair Zajac wrote:

> If I'm only on PowerPC only have a single arch, then adding +universal would catch issues like this one, even though I'm only on a single arch?  It wouldn't hurt me on compile times, would it?  So that sounds like a good idea for me.

You can build universal on any Mac, Intel or PowerPC. The default universal_archs on Leopard and Tiger are ppc i386. On Leopard this is straightforward, because Leopard is a universal operating system, as is Tiger on i386. But Tiger on PowerPC was not a universal operating system so that's more difficult. You have to use the MacOSX10.4u SDK to get the universal bits. MacPorts should handle this automatically for autotools ports, but for other ports you have to figure out where to put the ${configure.sdkroot} variable yourself. And because Tiger on PowerPC is the only system where it matters, and there are so few users on that system anymore, it's likely there are numerous ports where this has not been done correctly, so encountering problems on that system is likely.