fun with wxPython

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Thu Aug 8 05:42:51 PDT 2013

A little LT;DR all of it.  Here's my bottom line / advice based on
experience:

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013, at 05:25 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I upgraded wxWidgets-devel to 2.9.5 (wxWidgets30 has been upgraded
> short before that) which broke py-wxpython-devel (and py-wxpython30)
> because wxPython is still at version 2.9.4.

(1) Since wxWidgets 2.9.5 (in wxWidgets-devel and wxWidgets30) is not
compatible with wxPython 2.9.4 (in py-wxpython-devel and py-wxpython30),
revert the former's ports to their prior state (2.9.4) so that the
latter ports are no longer broken.  Do that today, ASAP.

> The ports currently are a mess and there are several reasons for that,
> but here's a short summary of what's going on with wxPython ports.

(2) Fix the port names to reflect their purpose and/or version.
"wxWidgets30" IMHO does not reflect the version correctly (2.9.4 or
2.9.5), while "wxWidgets-devel" does in a generic way. That said: -I-
don't care about the naming so much as that the ports work correctly.

WX in the past has had naming and compatibility issues within their
releases as well as MacPorts; I'm hopeful that someone, like you, can
clear up the confusion and keep these ports working. - MLD

ps> Another piece of advice: When doing an upgrade to a new version,
"sudo port upgrade" it on your local system, minimally, and do not
commit it unless it installs cleanly (passing "make check" or "make
test" is nice, but generally not necessarily a condition for not
committing it).