fun with wxPython

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Aug 8 08:40:17 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Michael Dickens wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013, at 05:25 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> I upgraded wxWidgets-devel to 2.9.5 (wxWidgets30 has been upgraded
>> short before that) which broke py-wxpython-devel (and py-wxpython30)
>> because wxPython is still at version 2.9.4.
>
> (1) Since wxWidgets 2.9.5 (in wxWidgets-devel and wxWidgets30) is not
> compatible with wxPython 2.9.4 (in py-wxpython-devel and py-wxpython30),
> revert the former's ports to their prior state (2.9.4) so that the
> latter ports are no longer broken.  Do that today, ASAP.

I would do it earlier, but I still believe that with a little bit of
feedback and help with testing I could get a working wxPython 2.9.4
installed *next to* wxWidgets 2.9.5. Maybe even today. For some reason
I still believe that this is a slightly better solution also in the
long run than keeping the old mess around forever.

On the other hand I probably need to revert the patch for dead keys for 2.9.5.

>> The ports currently are a mess and there are several reasons for that,
>> but here's a short summary of what's going on with wxPython ports.
>
> (2) Fix the port names to reflect their purpose and/or version.
> "wxWidgets30" IMHO does not reflect the version correctly (2.9.4 or
> 2.9.5),

It could have been called wxWidgets29, but this would only mean that
as soon as 3.0 gets released (which will be exactly the same version
other than bugfixes), changing all the ports would be a bit of pain.

> while "wxWidgets-devel" does in a generic way.

But wxWidgets-devel suggests that the port shouldn't be used for any
purposes other than experimenting, while this is in fact the only
usable version.

> ps> Another piece of advice: When doing an upgrade to a new version,
> "sudo port upgrade" it on your local system, minimally, and do not
> commit it unless it installs cleanly

The stupid thing is that it *did* install cleanly last time even
though the patch files were not even patch files. And when I upgraded
wxWidgets-devel to 2.9.5, I didn't predict breaking another package
and py-wxpython30 was already broken without much fuzz.

Mojca