[109246] trunk/base/ChangeLog

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Aug 12 08:17:03 PDT 2013

On Aug 11, 2013, at 7:56 AM, cal at macports.org wrote:

> +    - Add support for autostarting tasks with startupitems after installing.
> +      Useful for the certsync port. (#35474, cal in r106810, 109245)

While I can see where this is useful - it was purposely not added to startupitem support in the early implementation and I think we at least want to highly discourage anyone from using it.

Without it, installing a port is always fairly safe (ie, it will never be listening to an outside address and letting people log in unless you take additional positive action beyond installing it).

Personally, I would like to be able to globally disable it (with a conf setting) just to protect against the possibility that someone has it enabled for something that gets installed as a dependency that I don't actually want running [it would be cool if the implementation of the global 'off' switch for this automatically added a note (or at least a ui_msg) that says what would have been run, or what needs to be run to 'complete' the install].

--
Daniel J. Luke