[109246] trunk/base/ChangeLog

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Aug 12 08:29:34 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:17:03AM -0400, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> While I can see where this is useful - it was purposely not added to
> startupitem support in the early implementation and I think we at
> least want to highly discourage anyone from using it.

I agree. There are only a few very limited cases where using this is a
good idea. IMO, certsync is one of them, but one could argue that people
that might want to use certsync could also trigger the daemon manually.

> Without it, installing a port is always fairly safe (ie, it will never
> be listening to an outside address and letting people log in unless
> you take additional positive action beyond installing it).

Nobody should ever, under any circumstances, add this to a port that
starts a network service. I'm also hesitant to add it to the dbus port
as suggested by Ryan because users might just not want a dbus system
daemon.

> Personally, I would like to be able to globally disable it (with a
> conf setting) just to protect against the possibility that someone has
> it enabled for something that gets installed as a dependency that I
> don't actually want running [it would be cool if the implementation of
> the global 'off' switch for this automatically added a note (or at
> least a ui_msg) that says what would have been run, or what needs to
> be run to 'complete' the install].

That sounds like a good idea. Do you want to write a patch for this?

--
Clemens Lang