[109331] trunk/dports/graphics

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Tue Aug 13 09:08:55 PDT 2013

This change is all well and good, but wxWidgets-devel and wxWidgets30
are still broken in the SVN trunk in the same way as they have been for
almost 2 weeks now (because wxWidgets @2.9.5 API is not 100% compatible
with the wxPython 2.9.4).

While you are working on your branch to fix the WX ports -- which I
strongly endorse, BTW -- can the actual, in-use (SVN trunk) versions
of wxWidgets @2.9.5 be please reverted back to @2.9.4 so that they are
at least functional?

I voiced this opinion in my email of August 8 (5 days ago now), and the
original commit that started this issue dates to August 1 (12 days
ago).  I have no problems with wanting to fix all WX ports to make them
correct, but it is clear that this process takes time and in the mean
time folks cannot use these wxWidgets ports.

IMHO, reverting a failed upgrade, once the need is recognized (e.g.,
when the fix will not be quick and/or simple), quickly is important in
keeping users happy as well as gives us Portfile developers a chance to
figure out the issues are and fix them robustly. - MLD

ps> I'm happy to hear that you did test the @2.9.5 changes before
committing.  I apologize for jumping any guns in this regard.  I do
find it odd that the changes compiled, given the obvious API
incompatibility that the current issue has brought forth; but, this
sort of thing sometimes happens.