wxPython (was: [109331] trunk/dports/graphics)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Aug 13 09:52:02 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Michael Dickens wrote:
> This change is all well and good, but wxWidgets-devel and wxWidgets30 are
> still broken

You mean py*-wxpython30 and py*-wxpython-devel?

> in the SVN trunk in the same way as they have been for almost 2
> weeks now (because wxWidgets @2.9.5 API is not 100% compatible with the
> wxPython 2.9.4).
>
> While you are working on your branch to fix the WX ports -- which I strongly
> endorse, BTW -- can the actual, in-use (SVN trunk) versions of wxWidgets
> @2.9.5 be please reverted back to @2.9.4 so that they are at least
> functional?
>
> I voiced this opinion in my email of August 8 (5 days ago now),

... and I requested testing the new wxPython port without getting any
single feedback (other than yours requesting roll-back).

> and the
> original commit that started this issue dates to August 1 (12 days ago).

Actually, the first commit was already there on 17th August:
    https://trac.macports.org/changeset/108270

> have no problems with wanting to fix all WX ports to make them correct, but
> it is clear that this process takes time and in the mean time folks cannot
> use these wxWidgets ports.

Fixing wxWidgets definitely takes time (and will take a lot more time
to adapt and test all the dependencies), but wxPython-3.0 &
py-wxpython-3.0 with just two dependencies (py-winpdb &
py-robotframework-ride - for which the maintainer claims that it
doesn't work well with 2.9) are basically ready.

They probably need a deactivate hack to work with wxWidgets 2.9.5 (to
avoid wrong linking, possibly something along the lines of
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#deactivatehack) and a
bunch of testing. Plus I would be grateful for an explanation of why
wxWidgets.use doesn't work as expected inside a variant.

But if I got any feedback from experienced developers, this would be a
matter that could be solved *today* if there is sufficient interest.

> IMHO, reverting a failed upgrade, once the need is recognized (e.g., when
> the fix will not be quick and/or simple), quickly is important in keeping
> users happy as well as gives us Portfile developers a chance to figure out
> the issues are and fix them robustly. - MLD
>
> ps> I'm happy to hear that you did test the @2.9.5 changes before
> committing.  I apologize for jumping any guns in this regard.  I do find it
> odd that the changes compiled, given the obvious API incompatibility that
> the current issue has brought forth; but, this sort of thing sometimes
> happens.

Honestly - I also didn't say that I also tested wxPython.
wxWidgets-devel compiled fine and so did many dependencies. When I
upgraded wxWidgets-devel, wxWidgets30 was already at 2.9.5 for almost
two weeks and I wasn't aware of consequences in wxPython (which
wxWidgets30 broke already two weeks earlier).

Anyway, there is one single port that depends on wxWidgets-devel's
wxPython and one single port that depends on wxWidgets30's wxPython
(and that one with problems).

I'm all for solving it quickly and there are currently 24 open tickets
related to wxPython (and another 10 related to wxWidgets + many others
in wxWidgets' dependencies). But I would really like to start using
the pieces from the new ports where they could be applied without pain
(like replacing the base wxWidgets port which needs an update in
another 28 ports) and I don't dare doing this without some feedback
and opinion from other more experienced developers. My changes
probably don't address all of those 24+10 tickets, but I believe they
will address the majority (7/10 for wxWidgets and most wxpython's).

I can roll back the changes and then the current
"all-broken-status-quo" of wxwidgets can stay like that forever.

I really need someone else's testing and an "OK".

(I'm also waiting for someone's approval before committing Geant4.)

Mojca