wxPython (was: [109331] trunk/dports/graphics)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Aug 13 14:25:41 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Michael Dickens wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Michael Dickens wrote:
>> > This change is all well and good, but wxWidgets-devel and wxWidgets30 are
>> > still broken
>>
>> You mean py*-wxpython30 and py*-wxpython-devel?
>
> Yes, and no.  Here's what I originally meant:
> {{{
> Because wxWidgets was updated to @2.9.5 API, wxPython @2.9.4 will not
> build.  wxPython was not been updated to @2.9.5 yet, and, historically,
> has been kept @ the same release version as wxWidgets.  There is nothing
> wrong with wxPython; it is meant to be used with wxWidgets @2.9.4.
> Hence, IMHO wxWidgets is really what is broken even though it installs
> cleanly;

That could be a long philosophical debate.

You could equally argue that wxWidgets 2.9 is broken because, say,
FileZilla doesn't compile with 2.9. (Nothing is wrong with FileZilla,
it's meant to be compiled with 2.8. So, wxWidgets 2.9 is really broken
even though it [is the only one that] installs cleanly on a recent OS
X.)

> also, because we know that reverting wxWidgets back to @2.9.4
> will fix this issue.
> }}}
> But, I also realize that there are other ports beyond wxPython that
> depend on wxWidgets;

Yes, 12 other ports. And I think that I closed about 3 tickets when
upgrading for one or the other issue.

> hence, yes, wxPython is really what is broken.
>
> My basic belief is that ports that worked with wxWidgets @2.9.4, which
> did not fail after bring rev-bumped when wxWidgets @2.9.5 was committed,
> can once again be rev-bumped to work with wxWidgets @2.9.4 if those
> ports wxWidgets @2.9.5 were reverted back to @2.9.4.

There were no ports that failed which weren't already broken earlier.
But still ... we are only talking about one port and a half (one port
and one half-broken) that are currently broken because of that
mismatch, while there are 12 ports that depend on wxWidgets30/devel
only and not on Python.

> By doing this
> reversion, you buy yourself time

Sadly I cannot buy myself time. Time is the scarcest resource and I'm
not yet mastering its management so well.

> with respect to the wxPython issue as
> well as all of the tickets you're working on.  This would be just a
> temporary fix

... and an excuse for not doing anything with respect to it.

Now that it's broken at least I could expect some more people
interested in the ports to provide feedback about the new development.

> I have not found time to test your branch; I hopefully will in the next
> few days if it is still relevant.

It will definitely still be relevant. I don't expect to be done with
"upgrading" all the dependencies in the next few days.

> There are a number of ports which rely on wxWidgets-devel (including one
> I maintain), so I've been waiting for your branch's commit before I move
> this port over to using wx*30 (or, whatever its name ends up being).

Please feel free to do "svn cp" from trunk/dports to my personal tree
and feel free to do the necessary adjustments there (since wx-config
is no longer in PATH, it has to be found with different configuration
options). I welcome commits from others.

> That said, I think doing the quick, temporary reversion to wxWidgets
> @2.9.4 is "the right thing to do" in this specific circumstance; but, if
> you feel otherwise then by all means continue as is.

Yes, I do feel otherwise. I think that reverting back to 2.9.4 is just
a lame excuse for not doing anything for another few months.

I actually feel that now that "it's broken anyway", we can do the
least harm by committing a new port that might be broken for some
users only. And since I feel that it is ready (other than deactivation
of the active wxWidgets), I don't see any reason to wait any longer
other than getting a green light from at least one major developer.

My plan would be to commit the following ports from my "wxports" for now:

system:
  _resources/port1.0/group/wxwidgets-1.0.tcl
  sysutils/wxWidgets_select
wxPython:
  graphics/wxPython-3.0
  python/py-wxpython-3.0