wxPython (was: [109331] trunk/dports/graphics)

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Tue Aug 13 10:27:47 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Michael Dickens wrote:
> > This change is all well and good, but wxWidgets-devel and wxWidgets30 are
> > still broken
>
> You mean py*-wxpython30 and py*-wxpython-devel?

Yes, and no.  Here's what I originally meant:
{{{
Because wxWidgets was updated to @2.9.5 API, wxPython @2.9.4 will not
build.  wxPython was not been updated to @2.9.5 yet, and, historically,
has been kept @ the same release version as wxWidgets.  There is nothing
wrong with wxPython; it is meant to be used with wxWidgets @2.9.4.
Hence, IMHO wxWidgets is really what is broken even though it installs
cleanly; also, because we know that reverting wxWidgets back to @2.9.4
will fix this issue.
}}}
But, I also realize that there are other ports beyond wxPython that
depend on wxWidgets; hence, yes, wxPython is really what is broken.

My basic belief is that ports that worked with wxWidgets @2.9.4, which
did not fail after bring rev-bumped when wxWidgets @2.9.5 was committed,
can once again be rev-bumped to work with wxWidgets @2.9.4 if those
ports wxWidgets @2.9.5 were reverted back to @2.9.4. By doing this
reversion, you buy yourself time with respect to the wxPython issue as
well as all of the tickets you're working on.  This would be just a
temporary fix, nothing permanent; it should be straight forward to both
implement on the trunk and merge into your branch.

I have not found time to test your branch; I hopefully will in the next
few days if it is still relevant.

There are a number of ports which rely on wxWidgets-devel (including one
I maintain), so I've been waiting for your branch's commit before I move
this port over to using wx*30 (or, whatever its name ends up being).

I fully sympathize that there are a -lot- of WX tickets that you are
working on addressing, and it is impossible to please everyone all of
the time.  I think it's great that someone has stepped forward to assume
this (undesirable) challenge, and I applaud you for your efforts.  I did
something similar with Qt4 a few years back, and it was quite a large
effort!

That said, I think doing the quick, temporary reversion to wxWidgets
@2.9.4 is "the right thing to do" in this specific circumstance; but, if
you feel otherwise then by all means continue as is.  I've said my say,
and I think we both understand each other in this regard. - MLD