error on build through MacPorts but not on manual build (pkg-config problem?)

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Wed Aug 14 16:12:18 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 01:03:13AM +0200, Davide Liessi wrote:
> Ok, I answer myself: I was using trace mode (port -t) and forgot it.
> Without the '-t' flag, it builds and installs correctly with MacPorts.

Interesting; while reading your post I was thinking that's just what
happens in trace mode when a dependency isn't declared.

> So, the new question is: should I care about it? If so, how can I
> solve the problem?

First, trace mode is currently not reliable in any of the released
versions. Even though it did see a number of fixes in 2.2, the version
in 2.2 still has a number of problems, like crashing multi-threaded
programs. If you're running trunk you should have a reasonable stable
trace mode, though.

If you're on trunk, this usually means the package you're trying to
build does not correctly specify all of its dependencies. A missing
build dependency on pkgconfig often causes problems like this.

--
Clemens Lang