[109567] users/mojca/wxports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 19 18:04:14 PDT 2013

On Aug 19, 2013, at 15:08, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> +    # TODO: not sure how to prevent duplication of the following code
>>> +    # TODO: if needed, an additional variable could be added to wxwidgets PortGroup for easier access to wxwin.m4
>>> +    pre-configure {
>>> +        system "mkdir ${worksrcpath}/m4"
>>> +        system "cp ${wxWidgets.prefix}/share/aclocal/wxwin.m4 ${worksrcpath}/m4/"
>>> +        system "cd ${worksrcpath} && ./bootstrap"
>>> +    }
>>> +}
>>
>> Please avoid using "system" for tasks that can be accomplished directly in Tcl. For example:
>>
>> file mkdir ${worksrcpath}/m4
>> copy ${wxWidgets.prefix}/share/aclocal/wxwin.m4 ${worksrcpath}/m4/
>> system -W ${worksrcpath} "./bootstrap"
>
> Thanks a lot for the hint. I hope that I covered all cases in
>    http://trac.macports.org/changeset/109749

Looks good!

> If you have any other comments about these ports please let me know.

There's so much going on that I mostly just skim your changes.

> One specific thought about usbprog (and all other ports that need
> bootstraping/autoconfiguring and dependencies on autoconf & automake
> because of being fetched from source repositories): would it perhaps
> make sense to supply the configure script inside "files"?
>
> That is: port maintainer would generate the file once and then users
> could simply use that file instead of having to use autoconf/automake
> (possibly to new to process the files).

I don't think I would bother with that since it would be more work for you and not that much more convenient for the user. Generated configure scripts tend to be big, too; we don't want all MacPorts users to have to download it, even if they have no intention of installing wxWidgets, but that's what would happen if you put it in the files directory.