removal suggestion: port rpm

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Aug 20 03:42:18 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:23:51PM +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Specifically, it puts the packages in the RPM default output directory
> (under /opt/local/src/macports) and not in the "usual" work directory.

Right, I did notice it put the packages there, but I couldn't figure out
where this was configured, if anywhere.

> So I can see why you don't want to support RPM, and if you don't then
> I too think that it could be removed rather than just left to rot
> away.

My point is not necessarily that I don't want to support it, but it's
hard to test and get right (and fix bugs) if there is no use case for
the results. I'd rather remove it than leave it there in a broken state.
If we need to take a look at the code later, we can always get it from
the version history.

> My proposal for the GSoC was to improve the information in the
> archives so that they would be "packages" and could use pkgng* (from
> FreeBSD).

I still consider this an interesting proposal; it doesn't depend on
having rpm or dpkg support around, though.

> PS. Can we get rid of the dmg and mdmg as well, while house-cleaning?
> Those are only needed for the (unsupported) Tiger, without the "flat"

Are those really unused? I thought some projects are using those to
build re-distributable packages of software built using MacPorts; should
we suggest using .pkg instead?

--
Clemens Lang